How to do Abhyanga, Ayurvedic self oil massage
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons into a small glass jar with a lid.
- Place that into a bowl of hot water, or baby bottle warmer.
Work a thin layer of warm oil all over the body, emphasizing any painful or weak areas. Give special attention to the abdomen (going the direction of the large intestine), head, and feet. Treat yourself to some circles at the heart center (center of the sternum).
- 15 minutes the herbs will reach the rasa dhatu (plasma tissue)
- 20 minutes to the rakta dhatu (blood tissue)
- 25 minutes – mamsa dhatu (muscle and deep skin layers)
- 30 minutes – medas dhatu (adipose fat tissue)
- 35 minutes – asthi dhatu (bone)
- 40 minutes – majja dhatu (bone marrow)
- 45 minutes the shukra dhatu (reproductive tissues).
Even if you don’t have much time, leaving the oil on for just a few minutes will soften and cleanse the skin, and it will lay down the tracks to establish a good habit.