- 1 (1kg or 2-2½lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 700-950ml (3-4 cups) vegetable broth
- 2-4 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread the squash over a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle squash with salt and toss to combine. Spread out the squash again on the baking sheet.
- Roast the squash for 30-40 minutes, or until tender and the edges are starting to turn golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan, heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, lower heat to med-low, and stir until caramelized. Season with salt (optional).
- When the squash and onions are finished cooking, let them cool and add to blender or food processor + 3 cups of vegetable broth + 2-3 tsp. of balsamic vinegar. Puree until smooth!
- Season as needed with additional salt, pepper, or balsamic vinegar.